green and white.

and now i'm done.  i can visit as an alumnus and reminisce my days amongst MSU shadows and those ubiquitous lilac bushes, but it's different now.  it's great to be part of the "spartan family" and all.  my pledge card urging me to donate to our senior gift sits on the dresser and reminds me of the fact.  (as a side note, i'm so proud of the class of '15 for donating to MSU Safe Place!! they do good work. safeplace.msu.edu)

but at the same time, it's sad.  i know i couldn't live in the dorms forever, or sit in the Union between classes on that heavenly-comfy couch that i hope is available.  craft nights at the union served me well, and always provided an easy way to hang out with friends for a mid-week stress-free paper and glue session.  but now wednesday nights look different, and i even have to grieve the loss of craft night.  i know it seems trivial, but it's all significant to me.

during 4 years at MSU, i grew into myself.  those winding sidewalks and historic buildings and luscious trees represent the place where God stretched my mind, intellect, love, passions, and small dreams.  the wide-eyed girl walking into South Case Hall  in 2011 would hardly recognize the girl moving out of Williams Hall in 2015... 8 hours before commencement. (thank goodness for excitement and adrenaline that can surpass sleep deprivation!!)

there were those tough semesters that i couldn't wait to be done with.  especially hard seasons where i wondered if i would ever find my place in a university that boasted hundreds and hundreds of student organizations, clubs, and intramural teams.  but God did it, and in unconventional and unexpected ways, he brought friends to me.  they didn't all know eachother, and they didn't all come from the same place, but they were my people.  i think of Hannah, Brynlee, Laura, and Bonnie.... 4 different roommates who gave me special friendships that i know i'll carry with me to grad school and careers and whatever else.  there's Jenna and Emily, friends i met in the cafeteria freshman year who turned out to the people i would take my senior cap and gown pictures with.  (who knew??)

Lorri, Elaine, Becky, Anna, Casie, Nick, Kaiser all gave me laughs and shared dozens of meals with me in the cafeteria.  i'm thankful for every last tray of jello and mac and cheese that i shared with them.

Gabby, Hadley, Sarah Zims, Ashley, Kara, Passionique, and Lindsay were my social work buds. these people have creative hearts that love, love, love.  we passed bags of candy around in stats class, hugged consistently, and texted eachother things like: "did you know that was due tomorrow???"
somehow we would run into eachother at Espresso Royale on certain wednesday nights, and then the next day for Raelyn's 50 minute class that i promise you went by in 5 minutes because it was just that awesome. we were a little social work family.

. . .

so yeah, MSU, i love your shadows.  you're the best, MSU.  thanks, God.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts