If you believe it, Say It

There's a song I really like called "No Weapon" by Fred Hammond.  Just ask my roommate from last year, my sisters, or my boyfriend.  They know the way it goes.  The song lends itself SO WELL to soul-wrenching-belting-from-the-top-of-your-lungs strained sounds of passion and glory sliding past your lips. (Over the top, much?) The rest of the world just kind of fades in the distance when I sing this song.  If people ever notice me straining to hit those notes at a stoplight, I would never know. :)

Anyways, the song declares that "no weapon formed against me shall prosper" and "don't be afraid of the arrows or the snares set by your enemy, if you believe it say it".

That last part is the part that gets me. If you believe it, say it. 

At my church in Kalamazoo, The River, we often repeat things after the pastor. He'll say "turn to your neighbor and say 'God is good' ". So I turn to my people and say "God is good". Sometimes I feel like this isn't really my thing.  I'm more of a private journal-er, after all. But I've learned throughout the past few months that saying things OUT LOUD can be really great, really healing.

For example, the pastor will be praying for Kalamazoo or for people in our church, and he'll ask the church to say "amen" if they agree with the prayer. And that gets me really involved and helps me realize that, yes, I do agree with this prayer! I get to enter in and be a participant. I am an empowered daughter in this church-wide prayer.  My voice can have a meaning for the Lord. All of the voices add up to praise him.

So this brings me back to that beloved Fred Hammond song. If you believe something, you'll say something about it! You'll feel empowered to let that truth pass through your mouth, audibly, for yourself and others to hear.  Don't be shy.  If you believe it, say it. 


Comments

Popular Posts