freshly-graduated gratitude

God has done a lot of cool things in my life. He has brought me to live in the very same apartment that I used to couch-surf at whilst dating long-distance. And now, a few yards beyond that couch, I have my own room with a corner nook that looks out to a beautiful water retention pond. (Not even joking). I live in the same city as my boyfriend, my childhood friend, and my new friends that I have made through Tom.

I went to Western Michigan University, too! I remember being so nervous going into the orientation of my master's program. I thought: I'm too young for this.... I have such little experience.... This will be too hard for me...etc.

BUT, the Lord was so faithful in giving me friends, confidence in classroom discussions, and validation that I CAN do this work with his help. I bring my own unique experience to the field of social work, despite being a 23 year old bright-eyed woman. (hey, nothing bad with being bright-eyed!) :) And when I left my internship at a school for the last time after logging exactly 501 hours, my heart was full to running over with all the wonderful and broken places I got to journey to with 20-ish different students. And my supervisor? Her wisdom about choosing jobs wisely and remembering my worth still ring in my ears and remind me that golden things are ahead.

The dawn after my graduation from Western, I zipped up my suitcase and hopped on a train with my overly-awake boyfriend to travel across to the world to the place where I grew up. As we went from train to plane to plane to bus on our trek, it sank in how meaningful and exciting this trip is. I thought: I get to go home! To Hungary! With my best friend!!

And we did all the things I wanted to do and saw all the beautiful places. It was incredibly special. When we returned to good old Kalamazoo and started a new summer routine, we looked at each other with big eyes and said: We did it! We went to Hungary! Something we've talked about for months actually happened and now I can put pictures in a scrapbook and relish a deeper friendship with Tom because we experienced the enormity of a place so dear to me.

So now: I look ahead. I don't have a full time job yet. But I will. (Don't worry- I'm not sitting around passively like this blog post could imply). In the meantime. I'm working on being thankful in advance and tanning my Michigan arms as much as possible in the yellow sunshine outside my apartment.

Happy Summer!






Comments

Popular Posts