A couple of things that make me feel free

I once read something Glennon Doyle wrote about how the sun can be kind of bossy and make you feel pressured to soak up all the warmth outside. Sometimes the introvert in me really resonates with that.

However, this past weekend was our first time reaching 70 degrees in Michigan, which is a big deal. I exercised on back porch, sat in a camping chair on the front porch, rode my bike, played street tennis, and opened every window in the house.

What makes you come alive?

For me it's when I do something that makes me forget about instagram, forget about time, forget about social norms even. About a week ago the power went out in our whole neighborhood at 10:30pm on a Sunday night, and for some reason that made us want to run down the stairs and go on the back deck. Tom spied planets and stars while I danced free-style around the porch, feeling fully myself. I decided I would look into dance classes in our area. I think God made me to be a move-r around-er.

Similarly, I love a conversation that starts as a diplomatic exchange of "oh I forgot to tell you" or "something funny happened to be the other day" and commences to unwind for an hour or so as both deep and "shallow" ideas are seamlessly discussed. I love scooting myself sideways and looping my legs over the oversized arm of the chair when this happens. It makes me feel carefree and... free.

During one of the weirdest times I have ever lived through... it's good to remember what makes me feel alive.

                     

Pictures taken early May 2020












Comments

  1. Love that you are writing again. Wish I had a video of your power outage dance : )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts