Remembering Rachel Held Evans

An author named Rachel Held Evans died about a year ago, and I remember how the news of that shocked me and sobered me. Honestly, it shook a lot of people.

In high school, I was introduced to RHE when my friend Emily handed me a book one day called "A Year of Biblical Womanhood." And that book was symbolic for me. It was the first time I had read anything that resembled "Christian feminist" writing. It was truly the first time I encountered anyone who thought outside-the-box when it comes to gender roles or Bible interpretation. (You may gather now that the title name "A Year of Biblical Womanhood" is a bit tongue-and-cheek.) :) I remember reading that book and not agreeing with everything, and being really confused by some parts, but feeling really empowered as a young woman growing in faith.

Since I read that book I have read several others books that followed in this path of post-evangelical, "progressive" writings. Not all of them were great. Ironically, some of them made me appreciate parts of my Bible church/evangelistic roots even more. And then some of them made me over-correct and want to only go to churches with female pastors for the rest of my life. :) Despite a host of other Christian female writers that have come since, something about RHE always stuck with me. She truly affected a lot of people with her Biblical insight, her candor, her ability to be completely herself, even if brazenly herself. And she didn't just clump herself with other "pizzazy Christian feminist speaker/authors who use a lot of superlatives"-- to me she was kind of in a class all her own. And I see that as a very refreshing, genuine thing about her.

Rachel Held Evans was the first author I ever read who had me considering different Biblical interpretations without alienating me from my roots. She invited me to read Proverbs 31 in a whole new way-- in a way that celebrated women instead of holding them to unattainable standards. (Because YIKES if being a woman means staying up late AND waking up early to cook for your fam) :) Yes, truly, I learned Proverbs 31 is about so much more than that. No one lifts up women like God does, after all.

Her impact truly crossed political and denominational backgrounds. I remember one time my pastor quote her- someone I would not expect to have even heard of her. I remember how special it was to see someone who probably disagreed with her a lot still holding up her writing.

So thank you, Rachel Held Evans, for your gracious and audacious writings, for your rich legacy of faith. Eishet Chayil, Woman of Valor!




Comments

  1. Love to see you processing your thoughts Janie...well said.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts