Living in Kalamazoo

I'm back in the city where I was born. I went to elementary school here, rode my bike on these sidewalks (you know, in the suburban area), and went to a solid church with my parents and sisters. This place was my life before Hungary. It was pretty much all I knew! I played soccer with AYSO on the fields behind our church, ate gummy worms on Sundays after evening church with the same friends, and played cops and robbers with other friends a few streets over. A long trip to me was the hour and a half drive to Okemos to my grandparents. (Don't even get me started on the crazy-weary-long road trip up to Flint!! My 7 year old self would get seriously antsy on those car rides).

Anyways, then we sold our house and moved to Hungary. The ten years of my life I lived over there became...... totally normal life. I love Hungary, and I love Eastern Europe. That was the place I settled into life with Jesus as my best friend and got baptized to show everyone. Volleyball and basketball practices were constant, and quick trips to Vienna for a game were normal. ANYWAYS. This blog post isn't an entire survey on my life. I'm getting carried away.

So then-- 4 years in beloved East Lansing for college and then BACK in Kalamazoo for grad school.

I tell ya, life is funny! I had no idea a year ago that I would be living here again. I'm still driving down South Drake and West Main, but it feels like a fresh start. I'm going to a church downtown called The River where we repeat things that the pastor says and turn to our neighbor and tell them things and stuff like that. We sing and sing and sing and I really like it. I'm learning to create more space for the Holy Spirit to move in me and around me. It's uncomfortable sometimes. (But that means it's GROWTH).

I live in the same city as my boyfriend after a year of road trips and train tickets and jam-packed weekends. Everyday life together is new and sweet and filled with spontaneous "I'm coming over!" kind of texts.

This morning I went on a sunny, early morning walk with my friend and second grade school Sunday School teacher. Amazing. Thankful.

So yeah, I'm back in this place. It's historical and brand new all at once for me, and I'm learning my rhythm in it.

I think t's safe to say that I'm loving you, K-A-L-A-M-A-Z-O-O.

Comments

Popular Posts